Woman, mother-in-law beaten to death in UP
Kanpur: A woman and her mother-in-law were allegedly beaten to death with an axe by some unknown persons in a suspected case of honour killing in Ghatampur village here, police said on Tuesday.
The incident occurred last night when the assailants also attacked the woman`s husband and fled thereafter thinking he too had died, they said.
Kuldeep Pal (25), a resident of Ghatampur in Dukvapur village eloped with his neighbour`s daughter Prabha (20) one- and-a-half-years back. After getting married, both Kuldeep and Prabha settled in Delhi, they said.
Recently, Kuldeep brought his wife to his native village for the first time after which the incident occurred, they added.
The woman Prabha and and her mother-in-law Mamata (50) died on the spot, while Kuldeep was critically injured, police said, adding that the two bodies have been sent for post mortem.
It is suspected to be a case of honour killing but police has refrained from making any such claim.
Kuldeep`s relatives have accused Prabha`s father and brothers of the murder. According to them, they opposed the marriage, they said.
Some of Prabha`s relatives have been taken into custody, police said, adding that the case is being investigated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy?
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part II
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part III
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part IV
- Panel discussion over India's bid for NSG
- Volkswagen to pay $10 billion in US over emissions scandal: Source
- PM Narendra Modi meets Chinese President Xi Jinping, seeks support for India's NSG bid
- Focus on defence, security as PM Modi meets Uzbek President
- President tells IIT, IISc-Bangalore and IISER scholars to make India great
- Accident blocks Delhi-Howrah rail route, two dozen trains diverted