Woman, mother-in-law beaten to death in UP
Kanpur: A woman and her mother-in-law were allegedly beaten to death with an axe by some unknown persons in a suspected case of honour killing in Ghatampur village here, police said on Tuesday.
The incident occurred last night when the assailants also attacked the woman`s husband and fled thereafter thinking he too had died, they said.
Kuldeep Pal (25), a resident of Ghatampur in Dukvapur village eloped with his neighbour`s daughter Prabha (20) one- and-a-half-years back. After getting married, both Kuldeep and Prabha settled in Delhi, they said.
Recently, Kuldeep brought his wife to his native village for the first time after which the incident occurred, they added.
The woman Prabha and and her mother-in-law Mamata (50) died on the spot, while Kuldeep was critically injured, police said, adding that the two bodies have been sent for post mortem.
It is suspected to be a case of honour killing but police has refrained from making any such claim.
Kuldeep`s relatives have accused Prabha`s father and brothers of the murder. According to them, they opposed the marriage, they said.
Some of Prabha`s relatives have been taken into custody, police said, adding that the case is being investigated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Will multi-level car parking system across India help reduce traffic jams?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city