Woman murdered by family members in suspected dishonour killing
Bulandshahr: A 20-year-old woman
was murdered allegedly by her family members here for marrying
against their wishes, in a suspected dishonour killing case.
Sangeeta, who worked in a Noida firm and belonged to
the gujjar community, was killed on July 13 and her body
cremated by her mother, uncles and cousin who were opposed to
her marriage to Ravinder, who is a Dalit, police said here.
Sangeeta`s mother Ramwati and four others were today
arrested in this connection, Additional Director General of
Police Brij Lal told reporters in Lucknow.
Acting on a complaint, Noida police today recovered
skeletal remains, believed to be of victim Sangeeta, from a
field owned by her family in village Barmadpur here.
The ADG said that Sangeeta married Ravinder, 22 at an
Arya Samaj temple in Delhi in February, but didn`t disclose
this to her family.
"After marriage Sangeeta returned to her father`s
house," he said.
Brij Lal said that the girl informed her family about
her marriage in April. When Sangeeta`s family opposed their
relationship, she left her father`s house and went to her
"On July 11, families of Ravinder and Sangeeta agreed
that her family will send her to her husband after July 18,"
According to Superintendent of Police, city, JK Shahi,
Ravindra lodged an FIR with Sector 58 Noida Police that
Sangeeta had been killed by her family members and her body
was disposed of.
"Acting on the complaint police arrested Ramwati,
Sangeeta`s uncles Dayaram and Sukhveer, aunt Jagwati and
cousin Manoj," Brij Lal said.
He said that during interrogation it was revealed that
the accused killed Sangeeta on July 13 and later cremated her
body in Bargadpur village.
"Police have recovered some bones which will be sent
for DNA testing," he said.
The couple hailed from the same village and worked
together in a company in Sector 62 in Noida.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'