Woman slices girl`s tongue to attain wealth in UP
Lucknow: A woman in Maharajganj district of Uttar Pradesh allegedly sliced off the tongue of her neighbour`s four-month-old daughter Wednesday after a godman told her it would make her rich.
Manju Devi, 35, a resident of the Siswan village, committed the act on the directions of a self-professed godman who was visiting her house regularly for the past few weeks, police said.
Locals found the four-month-old girl Mansi inside Devi`s house, lying near a `havan kund` (ceremonial fireplace).
Devi and her family members are absconding.
"The girl was bleeding profusely at the time she was recovered from Manju Devi`s house. She has been hospitalised and her condition is stated to be critical," police inspector H.C. Bharti told reporters Thursday in Maharajganj, some 300 km from Lucknow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok