Women whistle in protest against Mulayam Singh Yadav
Zee Media Bureau
Lucknow: Samajwadi Party supremo Mulayam Singh Yadav on Monday faced the ire of a number of women protesters who held a demonstration outside his house here.
In 2010, the Samajwadi Party chief had made a controversial statement about the Women`s Reservation Bill, saying that if it is passed, Parliament will be filled with women who will invite catcalls and whistles.
Women activists today blew whistles in front of Mulayam`s house, protesting against his comment.
Mulayam had refused to withdraw his comment, saying that it was intentional. "I don`t like to say this, but they would be the women at whom youths would whistle," Mulayam had said in 2010.
In 2012, Mulayam had again kicked up a row with his remark that rural women will not benefit from the women reservation bill because they are not as attractive as those from the affluent class.
"Bade bade gharon ki ladkiya aur mahilayan kewal upar ja sakti hain...yaad rakhna...apko mauka nahi milega..hamare gaon ki mahila me akarshan itna nahin...," (Only girls and women from affluent class can go forward...remember this..you (rural women) will not get a chance...Our rural women did not have that much attraction)," he had said at a rally in Barabanki.
Mulayam had also alleged that the legislation was a "conspiracy" to prevent Muslims, Dalits, and backward classes from entering Parliament and state assemblies.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'