Women whistle in protest against Mulayam Singh Yadav
Zee Media Bureau
Lucknow: Samajwadi Party supremo Mulayam Singh Yadav on Monday faced the ire of a number of women protesters who held a demonstration outside his house here.
In 2010, the Samajwadi Party chief had made a controversial statement about the Women`s Reservation Bill, saying that if it is passed, Parliament will be filled with women who will invite catcalls and whistles.
Women activists today blew whistles in front of Mulayam`s house, protesting against his comment.
Mulayam had refused to withdraw his comment, saying that it was intentional. "I don`t like to say this, but they would be the women at whom youths would whistle," Mulayam had said in 2010.
In 2012, Mulayam had again kicked up a row with his remark that rural women will not benefit from the women reservation bill because they are not as attractive as those from the affluent class.
"Bade bade gharon ki ladkiya aur mahilayan kewal upar ja sakti hain...yaad rakhna...apko mauka nahi milega..hamare gaon ki mahila me akarshan itna nahin...," (Only girls and women from affluent class can go forward...remember this..you (rural women) will not get a chance...Our rural women did not have that much attraction)," he had said at a rally in Barabanki.
Mulayam had also alleged that the legislation was a "conspiracy" to prevent Muslims, Dalits, and backward classes from entering Parliament and state assemblies.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Ryan child death: Sexual assault allegations should be probed, says Manish Sisodia
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India
- 'Bajirao Mastani' still galloping at box office, mints Rs 350 cr!
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016