Work affected in courts of western districts of UP
Muzaffarnagar: Work in courts across 18
districts of western Uttar Pradesh came to a standstill as
lawyers boycotted court proceedings Wednesday to protest
police action on a Bijnore lawyer.
On October 25, lawyer Sanjeev Agarwal was allegedly
beaten up by some policemen during a protest against the
arrest of an advocate. Neeraj Tyagi, a lawyer was taken into
police custody on October 24 for intimidating voters a day
ahead of panchayat poll in Lakkhiwala village in Bijnore.
When some lawyers heard of Tyagi`s custody, they staged
protest at the police station and broke some furniture there,
prompting police to take action to repel the protestors during
which Agarwal was allegedly beaten up by the policemen.
The lawyers had demanded stringent action against the
policemen then and had refused to attend the courts.
Judicial work was affected in the 18 districts including
Muzaffarnagar, Bijnore, Meerut, Ghaziabad, Bulandshahar,
Baghpat, Moradabad, Saharanpur and Rampur following a boycott
call by the action committee of the 18 districts today.
"We are also seeking action against the police allegedly
involved for beating a senior lawyer of Bijnore, Sanjiv
Kumar", spokesman of the committee and president of
Muzaffarnagar District Bar Association Pramod Tyagi said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'