Yamuna flows close to danger mark in Agra
Agra: As the Yamuna continues to flow near the danger mark of 150.88 metres in Agra, the district authorities have warned all residents living close to the river banks to move to safer and higher places.
Officials of the Uttar Pradesh irrigation department, who are monitoring the rise in the river`s water level at various ghats, said the threat of a low flood persists. But the possibility of a major flood crisis in the district was low, they added.
"The Yamuna should peak Saturday evening," said an official who did not wish to be named.
Water has already entered some low-lying villages in the district, including those in Manoharpur and Gorkhi Bagichi, he added.
"A few illegal colonies that have encroached upon the flood plains will surely be affected. The administration is already under pressure to demolish such structures after receiving the National Green Tribunal directives," said Shravan Kumar Singh, a city-based activist.
In Vrindavan, the Yamuna has touched the steps of the Keshi Ghat and the water level continues to rise. However, there is no threat posed by the river, said Jagan Nath Poddar, convener of the NGO Friends of Vrindavan.
In Mathura, excess water has been released from the Gokul barrage. "The discharge from upstream is alarmingly high and this is just the beginning of the rainy season," said OP Gupta, a resident of Gokul.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know