Yamuna flows close to danger mark in Agra
Agra: As the Yamuna continues to flow near the danger mark of 150.88 metres in Agra, the district authorities have warned all residents living close to the river banks to move to safer and higher places.
Officials of the Uttar Pradesh irrigation department, who are monitoring the rise in the river`s water level at various ghats, said the threat of a low flood persists. But the possibility of a major flood crisis in the district was low, they added.
"The Yamuna should peak Saturday evening," said an official who did not wish to be named.
Water has already entered some low-lying villages in the district, including those in Manoharpur and Gorkhi Bagichi, he added.
"A few illegal colonies that have encroached upon the flood plains will surely be affected. The administration is already under pressure to demolish such structures after receiving the National Green Tribunal directives," said Shravan Kumar Singh, a city-based activist.
In Vrindavan, the Yamuna has touched the steps of the Keshi Ghat and the water level continues to rise. However, there is no threat posed by the river, said Jagan Nath Poddar, convener of the NGO Friends of Vrindavan.
In Mathura, excess water has been released from the Gokul barrage. "The discharge from upstream is alarmingly high and this is just the beginning of the rainy season," said OP Gupta, a resident of Gokul.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy?
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part II
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part III
- Hungarian Grand Prix: Record fifth win sends Lewis Hamilton top
- Olympian predicts record medal haul from Indian shooters at 2016 Rio Games
- Watch video: NASA's SDO captures solar material bursting from the sun!
- Salaries to go up 10.7%, star performers to gain handsomely: Study
- Nico Hulkenberg brings one point for Force India from Hungry