Youth arrested in Hathras attack case
Lucknow: The youth, who allegedly set a minor girl on fire at her house in Hathras district after she spurned his advances, has been arrested, a senior officer said here on Wednesday.
The accused, Arjun, was arrested by police on the intervening night of Tuesday and Wednesday, Inspector General of Police (law and order) B P Singh told reporters here.
Asha was set on fire by Arjun when she was all alone at her house in Luharra village on Monday night, they said.
The girl, who sustained almost 90 per cent burns, was rushed to the district hospital from where she was referred to Aligarh Medical College in a serious condition, police said.
The girl`s father Ashok Kumar Sharma also sustained burn injuries in a bid to save the daughter, they said.
Arjun was named by the girl in her statement before a magistrate at the hospital.
The accused had been stalking the victim for some time due to which she had stopped going to college, Superintendent of Police Happy Guptan said
"The youth had been stalking my daughter for several days and we had repeatedly sought the assistance of police in providing us protection. We had also filed a written complaint with police," the girl`s father Ashok had alleged.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Should there be strict laws against cow slaughter? Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath seeks public opinion