Youth throws acid on girl, commits suicide in UP
Bijnor: Irked over his fiancee`s engagement to some other man, a youth first threw acid on her and later allegedly committed suicide in Nai Basti area, police said here.
The girl Shalini and the youth Naveen got engaged in May last year. Both of them used to work together at a mobile centre, they said.
However, the girl`s mother later changed her mind and Shalini was engaged to another youth.
Agitated with this, Naveen reached her house last evening and threw acid on her face and feet, before allegedly consuming poison.
The family members of the girl rushed them to the district hospital from where they were referred to Meerut, but Naveen died on the way.
At the district hospital, Naveen told police that the youth to whom Shalini was re-engaged was present at her house at that time and he made Naveen drink a soft drink containing poison.
Deputy Superintendent of Police Rajesh Kumar said the matter was being investigated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice