10 killed as heavy rains batter Uttarakhand
Dehradun: Ten people were killed and 38 others went missing as incessant rains battered Uttarakhand on Saturday triggering landslides, cloud bursts and flash floods which flattened homes and stranded hundreds of pilgrims with the Chardham Yatra coming to a grinding halt.
The Garhwal region bore the brunt of the natural calamity.
The state government has sounded a high alert after the MET department`s warned of very heavy rains and sought the help of the army to mitigate the sufferings of the people.
Nineteen labourers of the state-run UJVN Ltd’s Assi Ganga hydel project went missing following a cloud burst in the upper hills of Uttarkashi district.
Similarly, 19 other people also went missing from Gangori, Dunda, Uttarkashi town and Barkot areas in the district.
"We have launched a manhunt to trace the missing people," said R Rajesh Kumar District Magistrate Uttarkashi.
Elsewhere in the state, 10 people were killed in different incidents following heavy rains during the past 24 hours, said sources in the Disaster Management and Mitigation Centre (DMMC) here.
In the disaster-prone Uttarkashi district, flash floods hit several low-lying areas creating havoc there.
At least three jawans of the fire brigade department and two others were killed at Gangori area even as Chardham yatra to Gangotri and Yamunotri remained suspended for the second day today.
In Gangori area of Uttarkashi, Bhagirathi is flowing above the danger level with people being evacuated to safer areas.
Nearly 30 homes were washed away in the floods with the Gangori bridge also collapsing.
"We have now reports that three jawans of the fire brigade and two others were killed in Gangori," said state disaster management minister Yashpal Arya.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video