10 killed as heavy rains batter Uttarakhand
Dehradun: Ten people were killed and 38 others went missing as incessant rains battered Uttarakhand on Saturday triggering landslides, cloud bursts and flash floods which flattened homes and stranded hundreds of pilgrims with the Chardham Yatra coming to a grinding halt.
The Garhwal region bore the brunt of the natural calamity.
The state government has sounded a high alert after the MET department`s warned of very heavy rains and sought the help of the army to mitigate the sufferings of the people.
Nineteen labourers of the state-run UJVN Ltd’s Assi Ganga hydel project went missing following a cloud burst in the upper hills of Uttarkashi district.
Similarly, 19 other people also went missing from Gangori, Dunda, Uttarkashi town and Barkot areas in the district.
"We have launched a manhunt to trace the missing people," said R Rajesh Kumar District Magistrate Uttarkashi.
Elsewhere in the state, 10 people were killed in different incidents following heavy rains during the past 24 hours, said sources in the Disaster Management and Mitigation Centre (DMMC) here.
In the disaster-prone Uttarkashi district, flash floods hit several low-lying areas creating havoc there.
At least three jawans of the fire brigade department and two others were killed at Gangori area even as Chardham yatra to Gangotri and Yamunotri remained suspended for the second day today.
In Gangori area of Uttarkashi, Bhagirathi is flowing above the danger level with people being evacuated to safer areas.
Nearly 30 homes were washed away in the floods with the Gangori bridge also collapsing.
"We have now reports that three jawans of the fire brigade and two others were killed in Gangori," said state disaster management minister Yashpal Arya.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- WATCH: Rare CCTV video of Ajmal Kasab and other terrorists of 26/11 Mumbai attacks
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate