10 killed as heavy rains batter Uttarakhand
Dehradun: Ten people were killed and 38 others went missing as incessant rains battered Uttarakhand on Saturday triggering landslides, cloud bursts and flash floods which flattened homes and stranded hundreds of pilgrims with the Chardham Yatra coming to a grinding halt.
The Garhwal region bore the brunt of the natural calamity.
The state government has sounded a high alert after the MET department`s warned of very heavy rains and sought the help of the army to mitigate the sufferings of the people.
Nineteen labourers of the state-run UJVN Ltd’s Assi Ganga hydel project went missing following a cloud burst in the upper hills of Uttarkashi district.
Similarly, 19 other people also went missing from Gangori, Dunda, Uttarkashi town and Barkot areas in the district.
"We have launched a manhunt to trace the missing people," said R Rajesh Kumar District Magistrate Uttarkashi.
Elsewhere in the state, 10 people were killed in different incidents following heavy rains during the past 24 hours, said sources in the Disaster Management and Mitigation Centre (DMMC) here.
In the disaster-prone Uttarkashi district, flash floods hit several low-lying areas creating havoc there.
At least three jawans of the fire brigade department and two others were killed at Gangori area even as Chardham yatra to Gangotri and Yamunotri remained suspended for the second day today.
In Gangori area of Uttarkashi, Bhagirathi is flowing above the danger level with people being evacuated to safer areas.
Nearly 30 homes were washed away in the floods with the Gangori bridge also collapsing.
"We have now reports that three jawans of the fire brigade and two others were killed in Gangori," said state disaster management minister Yashpal Arya.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday