12 foreigners among 200 evacuated from Kinnaur
Shimla: Twelve foreigners were among the 150 airlifted on Sunday by IAF helicopters from various places in rain ravaged Kinnaur district while National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) team rescued 50 tourists.
The Hindustan-Tibet National Highway has been restored up to district headquarter at Rekong Peo after eight days but the road links to Sangla, Pooh, Samdoh and other places in the interior parts of Kinnaur would take some more days to open for vehicular traffic, officials said.
Over 50 stranded tourists, in picturesque Sangla valley for past eight days were evacuated on foot by team of NDRF while 90 tourists were airlifted and dropped at Rampur.
The IAF choppers airlifted 15 persons including 12 French Bikers from Nako while six persons were evacuated from Pooh and another 15 from Gaybang.
"Fifty odd tourists assisted by rescue teams of NDRF left for Karcham from Sangla in batches", R K Bhardwaj, assisting the rescue operations in Sangla said, adding that around 200 tourists are still stranded in Sangla.
Officials said the trekking distance between Sangla and Karcham was seven-km but road distance was 18 km. The rescued people would be taken to the base camp at Rampur from Karcham.
The IAF and state choppers have so far airlifted 950 persons, including 35 foreigners during past seven days and a large number of people, included locals are still struck up in the tribal district. The total number of people rescued in the state has reached 1,000.
Deputy Commissioner J M Pathania said efforts would be made to evacuate the remaining tourists and other people within few days, while full restoration of roads would take couple of days.
The sky remained overcast in the region and barring showers at isolated places, the weather mainly remained dry and there was no major change in mercury.
Sundernagar recorded 17 mm of rains, followed by Mandi 7 mm and Dharamsala and Jogindernagar 6 mm each.
The minimum temperature stayed at 28 degree Celsius, seven notches above normal while state capital Shimla recorded a low of 18.7 deg C, 3 deg above normal while the mercury rose to 13.4 deg at Kalpa and Keylong in tribal districts of Kinnaur and Lahaul and Spiti.
Una was hottest in the region with maximum temperature at 39.8 deg while Bhuntar recorded a high of 33.7 deg, followed by Sundernagar 32.8 deg, Solan 29.6 deg, Dharamsala 29.4 deg, Nahan 29.1 deg, Kalpa 26.4 deg and Shimla 24.5 deg C.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan Lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India