2 UP cops suspended for disputes over U`khand victim`s bodies
Lucknow: The Uttar Pradesh government today suspended two policemen in Muzaffarnagar and Bijnor districts and issued warning to others for getting into border disputes over bodies of Uttarakhand flood victims recovered from the Ganga river, a senior official said here.
"SHO of Ramraj police station in Muzaffarnagar, Arvind Singh Pundir and in-charge of Kotwali police station in Bijnor district Vijay Singh Rana have been suspended with immediate effect," Principal Secretary Home R M Srivastava said.
He said that the policemen have been suspended on charges for not acting as per rules in inquest, post-mortem and identification of unidentified bodies washed away in Ganga river following Uttarakhand tragedy.
Srivastava said that the government has taken a serious note of the policemen, indulging into border disputes instead of taking action.
He said that police chiefs of both the districts and Additional Superintendent of Police and additional district magistrate, who visited the spot, have been reprimanded.
They have been directed that if such incidents occur again then stern action would be taken, he said. The principal secretary said that directives have been issued to preserve DNA of the unidentified victims and to photograph the post mortem.
BJP had yesterday condemned the state police for indulging into border dispute over bodies of Uttarakhand calamity victims, which were recovered from Ganga.
"Indulging into border dispute instead of taking proper action on the part of police is shameful," BJP chief spokesman Vijay Bahadur Pathak alleged while talking to the reporters.
He had alleged that the government was not serious in efforts to track people from the state, who were missing in Uttarakhand.
"The CM should ensure proper arrangements for rescue of stranded pilgrims from UP, proper treatment to injured and financial assistance to kin of those killed in the calamity," Pathak said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Boon for SC/ST candidates? Birth, caste certificates likely to be merged