21 bodies cremated at Kedarnath
Dehradun: Twenty-one bodies were extricated on Wednesday from tonnes of debris lying in Kedarnath and consigned to flames after necessary rituals.
This takes the number of bodies disposed of at the Himalayan shrine to 140 since the start of operations over a month ago, police said.
The process of extricating the bodies from under heaps of rubble lying close to the shrine which witnessed massive devastation in the June calamity was frequently hampered by bad weather and lack of heavy stone cutting equipment with the police and NDRF personnel engaged in the operation.
However, with a slight improvement in the weather today, the exercise gained momentum at the shrine with the disposal of 21 bodies after necessary religious rituals and completion of other formalities like their DNA sampling, police sources here said.
Police and NDRF personnel are jointly carrying out the exercise under the supervision of DIG G S Martoliya, they said.
Ornaments like rings, earrings, bangles and necklaces found on the bodies have been preserved to help their kin identify them, police sources here said.
While the number of bodies cremated so far at Kedarnath is 140, the total number of bodies disposed of in the entire Kedar valley since the start of operations has risen to 215.
Over 6,000 were feared killed in devastating floods, landslides and cloudbursts in the state in June this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling