23 killed as truck falls into gorge in Uttarakhand
Dehradun: Twenty-three people, mostly from
two Haryana villages, were today killed when a truck ferrying
`Kanwarias` (Shiva devotees) fell into a gorge in Uttarkashi
district of Uttarakhand.
The truck, which was on its on way to Gangotri, fell
into the 150-metre deep gorge killing 23 people, including the
driver and the cleaner, at Dabrani on Rishikesh-Gangotri
national highway, about 70 kms from here, Uttarkashi District
Magistrate Saurabh Jain said.
21 bodies of youths have been fished out by the police
and ITBP personnel and they have been sent for a post mortem,
he said, adding efforts are on to extricate two more bodies
from the accident site.
A pall of gloom descended on villages of Baghanki and
Kherki in Haryana`s Gurgaon district, from where nearly all
the youths killed belonged.
Uttarakhand Chief Minister Ramesh Pokhariyal Nishank
has ordered a magisterial probe into the incident.
The Haryana Government announced an exgratia of Rs two
lakh each to the next of kin of the deceased. Chief Minister
Bhupinder Singh Hooda expressed deep shock and grief over the
deaths and said that his government was in touch with the
administration of Uttarkashi to bring back the bodies.
Gurgaon district administration has sent of a team of
officers led by Tehsildar Manesar KS Dhaka to assist the
family members and villagers who have rushed to Uttarkashi,
according to the Deputy Commissioner Rajender Kataria.
A group of 29 youths from the two villages had gone on
the pilgrimage, Gurgaon district officials said, adding
efforts were on to identify those missing.
Heavy rains and floods over the last two days have
left six others dead and thrown life out of gear in
Several important roads were washed away in the
heavy floods due to which a large number of villages were cut
off. A vital stretch of Raipur-Chamba road was also washed
away due to heavy floods in the river Song in Dehra Dun, where
large areas have been inundated leading to loss of property
after last night`s torrential rains that broke a 44-year
Meanwhile, two `Kanwarias` from Uttar Pradesh were
today killed while another was injured when a motorcycle on
which they were riding collided with a bus at Jwalapur area of
Haridwar district, 47 km from here.
The incident took place when the motorcycle collided
head on with the bus killing Raju (20), a resident of
Ghaziabad and Bablu (22), a resident of Meerut on the spot,
Another person identified as Deepak was also injured
in the accident and he has been admitted to a nearby hospital,
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened