25 arrested for illegal quarrying, 85 vehicles seized
Dehradun: In a massive crackdown on the mining mafia in Uttarakhand, 25 people engaged in illegal quarrying in ecologically sensitive areas close to the Ganga were arrested following raids conducted at different places in Dehradun and Haridwar districts.
Police said here today that 85 vehicles used by them were seized during the raid.
The raids, which began on Sunday following a tip off that members of the mining mafia had taken shelter in some of the villages in the two districts, led to the arrest of 25 people.
Cases have been registered at Nehru colony, Doiwala and Clermentown police stations against the mafia members owning the tractor-trolleys and trucks seized during the raids, they said.
Despite a ban in place, illegal quarrying was being done by these persons in ecologically sensitive areas close to the Ganga, they said.
14 persons engaged in quarrying were arrested from Nehru Colonyillegal , 10 from Clementown and one from Doiwala, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof