25 arrested for illegal quarrying, 85 vehicles seized
Dehradun: In a massive crackdown on the mining mafia in Uttarakhand, 25 people engaged in illegal quarrying in ecologically sensitive areas close to the Ganga were arrested following raids conducted at different places in Dehradun and Haridwar districts.
Police said here today that 85 vehicles used by them were seized during the raid.
The raids, which began on Sunday following a tip off that members of the mining mafia had taken shelter in some of the villages in the two districts, led to the arrest of 25 people.
Cases have been registered at Nehru colony, Doiwala and Clermentown police stations against the mafia members owning the tractor-trolleys and trucks seized during the raids, they said.
Despite a ban in place, illegal quarrying was being done by these persons in ecologically sensitive areas close to the Ganga, they said.
14 persons engaged in quarrying were arrested from Nehru Colonyillegal , 10 from Clementown and one from Doiwala, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon