31 people booked for animal sacrifice at Pauri festival
Kotdwara: As many as 31 people were
booked for allegedly sacrificing buffaloes at the Kalinka
festival in Pauri district.
"We have registered the cases against 31 persons who
sacrificed buffalos under the cruelty against animal act"
District magistrate Dilip Jawalkar said.
Hundreds of buffalos are sacrificed at the festival at
Bunkhal, a remote temple in Pauri district.
The DM said at least 12 buffalos, meant for sacrifice,
were handed over to administration by devotees after awareness
measures against animal sacrifice were taken at the temple.
The police was instructed to register the case agaist
these people at Thailisain, Jawalkar said.
Activists were demanding a ban on animal sacrifice at
the temple. The court had ordered the district administration
to submit a status report after a writ was filed in the High
Court in this regard.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- China renews yellow alert for heat wave
- Navjot Singh Sidhu gets place in Punjab BJP core committee, Anil Joshi out
- She's just 8 months old but parents want mercy killing: Read her story
- Trump's Brexit remarks make him 'unfit' for President: Clinton aides
- Sourav Ganguly not present during my interview for coaching role, says Ravi Shastri