31 people booked for animal sacrifice at Pauri festival
Kotdwara: As many as 31 people were
booked for allegedly sacrificing buffaloes at the Kalinka
festival in Pauri district.
"We have registered the cases against 31 persons who
sacrificed buffalos under the cruelty against animal act"
District magistrate Dilip Jawalkar said.
Hundreds of buffalos are sacrificed at the festival at
Bunkhal, a remote temple in Pauri district.
The DM said at least 12 buffalos, meant for sacrifice,
were handed over to administration by devotees after awareness
measures against animal sacrifice were taken at the temple.
The police was instructed to register the case agaist
these people at Thailisain, Jawalkar said.
Activists were demanding a ban on animal sacrifice at
the temple. The court had ordered the district administration
to submit a status report after a writ was filed in the High
Court in this regard.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India's tour of Zimbabwe and West Indies: BCCI selection committee to announce squads today
- Narendra Modi in Iran: PM invokes India's 'civilisational ties', aims to boost economic, cultural partnership
- IPL 2016, Match 56: Virat Kohli's RCB earn playoffs spot, to face Gujarat Lions in Qualifier 1
- Jorge Lorenzo pips Marc Marquez to Italian MotoGP win
- Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg celebrates his wedding anniversary in a 'musical' way! - See pic