31 people booked for animal sacrifice at Pauri festival
Kotdwara: As many as 31 people were
booked for allegedly sacrificing buffaloes at the Kalinka
festival in Pauri district.
"We have registered the cases against 31 persons who
sacrificed buffalos under the cruelty against animal act"
District magistrate Dilip Jawalkar said.
Hundreds of buffalos are sacrificed at the festival at
Bunkhal, a remote temple in Pauri district.
The DM said at least 12 buffalos, meant for sacrifice,
were handed over to administration by devotees after awareness
measures against animal sacrifice were taken at the temple.
The police was instructed to register the case agaist
these people at Thailisain, Jawalkar said.
Activists were demanding a ban on animal sacrifice at
the temple. The court had ordered the district administration
to submit a status report after a writ was filed in the High
Court in this regard.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Virat Kohli vs Sachin Tendulkar: Who is a better cricketer? Read what Virender Sehwag has to say