5,360 missing in Uttarakhand, fresh rains add to woes
Dehradun: The Uttarakhand government on Wednesday put the number of missing people in last month`s tragedy at 5,360 and announced that pilgrimage to Badrinath, Gangotri and Yamunotri shrines will resume by September 30 even as fresh rains pounded several parts of the state and claimed 11 lives.
Seven members of a family were killed when the ceiling of their house collapsed in Dhikauna village in Chamoli district.
The incident took place in the wee hours when debris from the hillside including rocks and boulders hit the house under the impact of heavy overnight rains, Chamoli ADM Sanjay Kumar said.
In another incident, four persons were killed when a machine engaged in repairing a road fell into a ditch in Garhwal.
Meanwhile, the number of persons who went missing after the tragedy has risen to 5,360 out of which 4560 are from states other than Uttarakhand and 800 from the hill state, the latest official estimate issued by the state government said.
Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna earlier announced that pilgrimage to Badrinath, Gangotri and Yamunotri shrines will resume by September 30.
Bahuguna, who visited Guptkashi in Rudraprayag district, assured the flood-affected families that pilgrimage to the three dhams will resume by September 30 by which time the BRO hopes to restore the routes to these Himalayan shrines.
In Delhi, Road Minister Oscar Fernandes told a news agency that the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways is working towards re-linking the state with the rest of the country and is hopeful of providing full connectivity to the Kedarnath shrine by September.
"The restoration work has started but there are stretches where the entire road has been washed out, where we have to build new roads. This may go beyond one or two months," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi