615 cadets pass out from IMA to become Army officers
Dehradun: Choppers flew past the historic Chetwode Building at the Indian Military Academy on Saturday showering flower petals on 615 cadets who passed out after successfully completing a rigorous training course to join the Indian Army as officers.
Apart from them, 71 foreign gentlemen cadets too simultaneously passed out from the esteemed institution to join the armies of their respective countries.
Before being formally commissioned into the Army, the cadets staged a colourful Passing Out Parade (POP) with great vigour and zeal at the drill square in front of the Chetwode Building with Army Chief Gen Bikram Singh reviewing it.
Addressing the cadets after the end of the ceremony, Gen Singh said he felt privileged to be part of the occasion which had stirred up nostalgic memories in his mind.
Conveying his felicitations to the gentlemen cadets, he said they were fortunate to have trained at the IMA known for its high standards.
Asking them to constantly bear in mind their twin roles as warriors and protectors, he said they belong to the last bastion of the country and cannot ever afford to let their country down.
Felicitating the passing out cadets from friendly countries like Afghanistan, Bhutan, Mauritius and Maldives, Gen Singh hoped they would use what they had learnt at the IMA to serve their respective nations.
Of the 615 cadets, the maximum 148 newly-commissioned officers would join the infantry followed by artillery and engineers which would get 123 and 75 officers respectively.
Maximum of 76 officers are from Uttar Pradesh followed by Haryana with 50 and Uttarakhand with 46.
After the ceremonious POP, all the cadets regrouped at a ground of the academy where the pipping ceremony was held. They were later administered oath to the Constitution by the adjutant of the IMA.
Sudeep Kumar received the coveted Sword of Honour for being the best all-rounder during the pre-commission training. While Vikram bagged the gold medal for standing first in the order of merit in the regular course, Sudeep Kumar and Dharmpal Singh received silver and bronze medals for standing second and third in the order of merit.
The well-turned out cadets were also seen enjoying with their parents and friends.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM