7 killed, 25 hurt as vehicles fall into Alaknanda River
Gopeshwar (Uttarakhand): Seven pilgrims were killed and 25 others injured in two separate road accidents in Chamoli district, official sources said today.
Two pilgrims from Ghaziabad in Uttar Pradesh were today killed and eight others injured when their car fell into Alaknanda river at Pipalkoti area of Chamoli district, they said.
The incident occurred when they were returning after offering prayers at Badrinath shrine, they said. The injured have been admitted to district hospital in Chamoli where their condition is stated to be stable. The cause of the accident was not immediately known.
In another incident, five pilgrims from Rajasthan were killed and 17 others injured when a mini bus in which they were travelling fell into the river near Marwari bridge in Chamoli district last night.
The bus was carrying 22 passengers and returning from Badrinath when the mishap occurred, they said, adding the injured have been admitted to nearby Srinagar Base Hospital where condition of seven is stated to be serious.
Uttarakhand Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna expressed grief over the incidents and asked the administration to provide best medical care to the injured.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- No liberal approach, mediation or compromise in rape cases: Supreme Court
- Lalitgate: Centre denies deal with Congress over Sushma Swaraj, Vasundhara Raje
- Lalitgate: BJP helping fugitives, law breakers; PM Modi doing 'Maun Yoga', alleges Congress