70 percent polling in Uttarakhand civic body polls
Dehradun: About 70 per cent voters exercised their franchise in Uttarakhand civic body elections which were held peacefully on Sunday.
Till the conclusion of polling at 5 pm, 70 per cent people had cast their votes, State Election Commissioner Harish Chandra Joshi said.
No untoward incident was reported from anywhere, he said.
Large queues of voters were witnessed outside polling booths throughout the state including Dehradun, Haridwar, Pithoragarh, Almora and Uttarkashi in the polls which will decide the fate of 3,7523 candidates, he said.
Polling has been held to six municipal corporations in Dehradun, Haridwar, Roorkee, Haldwani, Kashipur and Udham Singh Nagar besides 28 municipal boards and 38 nagar panchayats throughout the state.
The counting is slated for April 30.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Planning parenthood through surrogacy? Things you need to know
- When Muslim men chanted `Hindustan Zindabad`, `Pakistan Murdabad` slogans on Hyderabad roads – Watch
- US warns EU ahead of Apple tax evasion ruling
- Facebook, Twitter, Google failed to tackle terrorism: Panel
- Conversion of forest land the reason behind weakening of monsoon: Research