Act against sand mining mafia: Ramesh to Pokhriyal
New Delhi: Environment Minister Jairam Ramesh, who had blamed Uttarakhand Government for the death of Swami Nigamanand after a four-month fast to protest sand mining in Ganga riverbed, on Friday shot off a strongly-worded letter to its Chief Minister asking him to immediately intervene to stop the illegal activities.
Ramesh also asked Chief Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal `Nishank` to keep the Central Government informed about the actions taken by the state.
"It is unfortunate that, in spite of my repeated requests, no effective appears to have been taken by the state government to stop illegal river-bed sand mining," the minister said referring to his earlier letter to Nishank on January 06, last year, asking him to take steps to end the activities of mining mafia.
"Various media reports appearing in recent days confirm the inaction on the part of the state government," Ramesh said.
He said there is "huge public concern" on illegal river-bed sand mining taking place along the holy Ganga in Uttarakhand, particularly around Haridwar.
He stressed that this mining is in violation of the provisions of the Environment Impact Assessment Notification, 2006 and pointed out that the powers to frame rules to control illegal mining have been delegated to state governments.
"I once again request you for your immediate intervention to stop the ongoing illegal river-bed sand mining particularly around Haridwar," Ramesh said in his letter.
"I also request that the Ministry of Environment and Forests be kept informed of the actions taken by the state government," it said.
The 36-year-old seer had died on June 13 during his hunger strike against the activities of the sand mining mafia in the area.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Four minors gang-rape teenage girl in Mumbai, circulate video on WhatsApp
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah