Andolankari Manch stages march to protest HC order on domicile
Dehradun: Uttarakhand Rajya Andolankari Manch and Uttarakhand Mahila Manch on Monday staged a march here to protest the state government`s decision to implement Uttarkhand High Court`s order on domicile and sought Governor Aziz Qureshi`s intervention in the matter.
Activists of the two organisations converged at Gandhi Park in the city and marched towards the Raj Bhawan shouting anti-government slogans amid beating of drums.
Andolankari Manch president Jagmohan Singh Negi said the state government has decided to implement Nainital based Uttarakhand High Court`s order issued in August this year that people living in Uttarakhand prior to its creation on November 9, 2000, will be considered domiciles of the state.
Claiming that the high court order goes against Article 5 of the Indian Constitution and several past Supreme Court rulings in this regard, Negi said the state government should have challenged the high court order on domicile in the apex court.
The demand of the Manch is that only those living in the state since January 26, 1950 when the Indian Constitution came into force, be considered the state`s domiciles.
The Manch president said by staging a protest march, they have tried to raise the issue before the Governor and urged him to offer his valued guidance to the state government in the matter.
He said domicile is a highly sensitive issue and the state government`s decision to implement the high court order in this regard has hurt the sentiments of more than one crore people of Uttarakhand.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!