Andolankari Manch stages march to protest HC order on domicile
Dehradun: Uttarakhand Rajya Andolankari Manch and Uttarakhand Mahila Manch on Monday staged a march here to protest the state government`s decision to implement Uttarkhand High Court`s order on domicile and sought Governor Aziz Qureshi`s intervention in the matter.
Activists of the two organisations converged at Gandhi Park in the city and marched towards the Raj Bhawan shouting anti-government slogans amid beating of drums.
Andolankari Manch president Jagmohan Singh Negi said the state government has decided to implement Nainital based Uttarakhand High Court`s order issued in August this year that people living in Uttarakhand prior to its creation on November 9, 2000, will be considered domiciles of the state.
Claiming that the high court order goes against Article 5 of the Indian Constitution and several past Supreme Court rulings in this regard, Negi said the state government should have challenged the high court order on domicile in the apex court.
The demand of the Manch is that only those living in the state since January 26, 1950 when the Indian Constitution came into force, be considered the state`s domiciles.
The Manch president said by staging a protest march, they have tried to raise the issue before the Governor and urged him to offer his valued guidance to the state government in the matter.
He said domicile is a highly sensitive issue and the state government`s decision to implement the high court order in this regard has hurt the sentiments of more than one crore people of Uttarakhand.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!