Andolankari Manch stages march to protest HC order on domicile
Dehradun: Uttarakhand Rajya Andolankari Manch and Uttarakhand Mahila Manch on Monday staged a march here to protest the state government`s decision to implement Uttarkhand High Court`s order on domicile and sought Governor Aziz Qureshi`s intervention in the matter.
Activists of the two organisations converged at Gandhi Park in the city and marched towards the Raj Bhawan shouting anti-government slogans amid beating of drums.
Andolankari Manch president Jagmohan Singh Negi said the state government has decided to implement Nainital based Uttarakhand High Court`s order issued in August this year that people living in Uttarakhand prior to its creation on November 9, 2000, will be considered domiciles of the state.
Claiming that the high court order goes against Article 5 of the Indian Constitution and several past Supreme Court rulings in this regard, Negi said the state government should have challenged the high court order on domicile in the apex court.
The demand of the Manch is that only those living in the state since January 26, 1950 when the Indian Constitution came into force, be considered the state`s domiciles.
The Manch president said by staging a protest march, they have tried to raise the issue before the Governor and urged him to offer his valued guidance to the state government in the matter.
He said domicile is a highly sensitive issue and the state government`s decision to implement the high court order in this regard has hurt the sentiments of more than one crore people of Uttarakhand.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- LIVE: Jayalalithaa's condition critical after suffering cardiac arrest, huge crowd gathers outside Apollo hospital
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender