Another woman mauled to death by leopard in Almora
Dehra Dun: A woman was mauled to death by a leopard in Silkhaura village of Uttarakhand`s Almora district in the second such incident in the area within a week, official sources said here Tuesday.
Sheila Bisht (38) had gone to the fields to cut grass when the predator crept out of nearby jungles and pounced on her, they said.
The woman died on the spot. Angry villagers initially refused to hand over the body to the police and relented only after being assured by forest officials that the leopard will be shot.
A 56-year-old woman was mauled to death by a leopard in Malli Chauneli village of the district on October 16.
Fear-stricken residents of the villages in the area are demanding that they be allowed to kill the big cats in self defence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader