Army begins work on new land route to Kedarnath
Lucknow: Army`s Central Command based here has started work to open a new 20-km route to Kedarnath Valley, the worst-hit in the Uttarakhand flash floods, as bad weather has been severely affecting relief operations by air.
With MET department forecasting more rains, opening a new land route was the only solution to gain continued access to the 8th-century shrine, an Army release said here on Thursday.
On request from the civil administration and the National Disaster Response Force (NDRF), teams of the Army`s Surya Command here have conducted a reconnaissance of the area and commenced work to open a land route along a fresh alignment, it said.
After much difficulty, the teams successfully established a crossing over the Vasuki Ganga at Sonprayag yesterday.
The leading team comprising 21 persons, including four officers, crossed the river and reached Gomkara and camped there for the night at an altitude of approximately 13,000 feet.
Another team with logistical support today crossed the river at Sonprayag and is now moving on the route opened by the leading team, it said.
This team will establish a staging area in Gomkara. The leading team is presently opening the route to Kedarnath by crossing Dev Vishnu and is heading for Kedarnath, it said.
The new route is likely to follow the Sonprayag-Gomkar- Dev Vishnu-Dhungaj Giri-Kedarnath alignment and will be approximately 20km in length, passing an altitude of over 13,000 feet.
Uttarakhand has witnessed incessant rains in the last few days due to which helicopters have not been able to fly and the relief work has been severely hampered.
The land routes had suffered extensive damage during the cloud burst and flash floods of Jun 16-17 and access by road to the Kedarnath shrine has remained cut off.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you