Army choppers drop relief material in flood-affected areas
Dehra Dun: Army helicopters today continued to drop relief materials to flood affected areas of Uttarkashi district amid reports that there was another cloud burst in the remote Mori area of the district.
Army`s MI-16 and MI-17 choppers are dropping relief materials in the flood-affected areas, Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna told reporters here.
He said the government was trying its best to provide succor to the affected people in Uttarkashi district where 28 people were killed and hundreds of others rendered homeless following heavy rains and cloudbursts on Saturday.
The chief minister said another cloudburst had occurred in Mori area of the district yesterday but the district administration was still collecting reports about any loss of life or property. A team has been sent to the area, officials said.
Meanwhile, efforts were on to airlift stranded people from various areas of the district. "Only handful of people have been left stranded at different areas of the district," a top official said.
Though intermittent landslides were continuing in several areas of the Garhwal region, the chief minister said Rishikesh-Badrinath highway has been thrown open for traffic.
To a question whether the Chardham yatra would remain suspended during the monsoon season, Bahuguna said, "If one highway is open, another is blocked then where is the need to suspend Chardham yatra." PTI
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket