Army completes evacuation of all stranded pilgrims in Harsil
New Delhi: In the last leg of their rescue operations in Uttarakhand, the Army today said it has completed evacuation of all pilgrims stranded in Harsil.
"532 stranded people have been evacuated today by air from Harsil, leaving just 100 to 150 locals to be evacuated. With this, all pilgrims have been evacuated from Harsil. At least 450 people were evacuated by helicopters from Badrinath today," it said.
On rescue operations in Badrinath, the force said all able-bodied and willing people were motivated by the Army to undertake journey from Badrinath to Joshimath by a combination of foot and vehicles.
"While only 12 Kms is by foot, the remaining 31 Kms is undertaken by vehicles. 900 people set out on foot. While 244 have already reached Joshimath, the others are on their way and expected to reach by tonight," the Army said.
Army Chief Gen Bikram Singh is scheduled to visit the affected areas tomorrow to boost the morale of around 8,000 troops involved in rescue operations.
The IAF has flown over 1,700 sorties, including over 60 today in which it has rescued over 14,748 people.
The Directorate General of Armed Forces Medical Services (DG, AFMS) has deployed 400 people of various specialties in flood-affected areas.
The DG, AFMS, has provided medical treatment to 7,000 civilians so far in the area and has also been sending medicines and other equipment for stranded people there.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof