Army evacuates 2000 stranded people from Badrinath
New Delhi: A bridge constructed by Border Roads Organisation at Pandukeshwar in rain-hit Uttarakhand on Wednesday helped the Army evacuate 2000 stranded people from Badrinath where 2750 people are still awaiting to be rescued.
Another 540 people are awaiting evacuation from Harsil where 600 people were pulled out by Army using various means.
Bad weather hampered the rescue efforts through air, but evacuation of those stranded continued by roads, a statement issued by the Group of Ministers on Media said here.
Ration and edible oil supplies have reached Badrinath for those stranded as well as the local residents.
No fresh survivors were found in the Jungle Chatti area where the Army carried out reconnaissance missions.
Meanwhile, the state government started the cremation procedure of bodies in Kedarnath for which the Air Force has already delivered material like logs, ghee and related items.
The BRO was able to open the road up to 30 km beyond Uttarkashi but a planned bridge at Son Prayag could not be operationalised as the rainfall resulted in sharp increase in the water flow of the river.
Another bridge is being set up at a location nearby and is likely to be operationalised by tomorrow morning.
Of the 287 communication towers of BSNL that were damaged, only three are dysfunctional while the rest have been repaired, the release said.
Private telecom operators have also opened emergency numbers to provide the last active location of their subscribers in the region.
Despite bad weather, Air Force carried out 64 sorties to evacuate 636 people. It has deployed 44 aircraft, including helicopters, in the region.
The ITBP evacuated 400 people today. So far, 30,816 pilgrims have been evacuated by ITBP rescue teams across the affected areas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BCCI announces Team India squad for Bangladesh tour
- Sudha Shivpuri aka 'Baa' of 'Kyuki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi' dies
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Bihar Intermediate Result 2015 declared