`Army need more chopper to evacuate U`khand victims`
Dehradun: Evacuation of all people stranded in the affected areas of Uttarakhand may take many days considering the scale of devastation and any number of helicopters for rescue job is not enough, a senior Army officer said Friday.
"I would say we should engage all the mechanism and equipment at our disposal in the evacuation of stranded pilgrims and people. Massive damage has been caused with vast stretches of roads totally washed away," GOC-In-Chief Central Command Lt Gen Anil Chaith told reporters here.
He said the victims can only be airlifted in choppers which on an average have a capacity to accommodate only 20--25 people whereas thousands still are stranded and the Army urgently needs more choppers.
Pointing out that the calamity has wreaked havoc in a 4,00,000 sq km area, the Lt Gen said the Central Command has been entrusted with the task of evacuating pilgrims from Badrinath Dham where around 8,000 people are still stranded.
He said 1,000 people are struck in Harshil, 500 in Gangotri and 300 in Bhairavghati of whom the old and ailing are being evacuated on a priority.
More helicopters are needed because most places are accessible only through the air route, he said, adding villagers in affected areas should be more sensitive towards the stranded pilgrims and should ferry them free of cost from places like Gaurikund and Sonprayag.
Though refusing to specify a time frame for evacuating people, the Army officer said it may take days but added the force will ensure that no more lives are lost and work till the last survivor is evacuated from affected areas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy