Avadhesh Kaushal to return Padma Shri
Dehradun: Padma Shri awardee Avdhash
Kaushal has decided to return the honour to the government to
protest against stalling work at two power projects in
Uttarakhand in the name of protecting environment.
Uttarakhand Government has stopped work on 480 watt
Maneri Bhali power project, situated on the banks of river
Ganga, and on 381 mega watt Bhaironghati power project after
environmentalist Dr Guru Das Agarwal sat on a fast unto death,
protesting against the two projects.
Demanding resumption of work at the two sites, Kaushal
today told reporters that he will return his Padma Shri ,
presented to him by the government in 1986 for his
contribution towards conserving environment, if work on the
two projects is not resumed immediately.
Kaushal said, if on the name of conserving environment
we wish to promote poverty and force poor people to live
without proper power supply, then such conservation activities
and awards are worthless.
The Padma Shri awardee said that he will take former
Uttarakhand Chief Minister B C Khanduri to Supreme Court to
seek compensation for the losses incurred by the state due to
stalling of the two projects.
Work on the two projects was stopped on the orders
from Khanduri, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam