Bad weather conditions prevent airlifting of pilgrims
Pithoragarh: With weather
playing a spoilsport today, the last batch of 37 pilgrims
returning from Kailash Mansarovar could not be airlifted by
the Air Force and will spend their third day at Gunji Camp,
district officials said.
"The pilgrims are likely be air lifted tomorrow,"
District Magistrate of Pithoragarh said.
According to Pithoragarh district administration, Air
Force helicopters had to fly to Gunji to lift the pilgrims
before noon today but could not carry out the operation due to
heavy rains at Bareilly base.
"In the afternoon two air force helicopters reached Pant
Nagar air base but due to heavy rains there and at Gunji they
had to cancel their sortie," the District Magistrate said.
The Air Force has also promised Almora district
administration to air lift essential goods to Almora town from
Haldwani as the main highway linking the two towns has been
blocked since the last five days and there is a shortage of
essential goods in Almora, DM of Almora said.
"The four Air Force helicopters assigned at Bareilly
base to cope with the calamity in this region are giving
priority to air lift those marooned by flood waters in
Moorabad and Bijnor districts. After that they will go to
Kailash Yatra pilgrims and Almora town," said a source of
district administration Almora.
- President's Rule to continue in Uttarakhand, next hearing in SC on May 3
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part II
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part III
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part IV
- Punjab woman 'gangraped first, killed, and then thrown from roof'
- IPL 2016: Mumbai Indians sign Jerome Taylor as injured Lasith Malinga's replacement
- AugustaWestland chopper deal: It's political conspiracy to cover up criminal negligence in pursuing CBI inquiry, says AK Antony
- Tiger Shroff regrets making housewife comment?
- Britain would be less well off after Brexit: OECD