Bad weather conditions prevent airlifting of pilgrims
Pithoragarh: With weather
playing a spoilsport today, the last batch of 37 pilgrims
returning from Kailash Mansarovar could not be airlifted by
the Air Force and will spend their third day at Gunji Camp,
district officials said.
"The pilgrims are likely be air lifted tomorrow,"
District Magistrate of Pithoragarh said.
According to Pithoragarh district administration, Air
Force helicopters had to fly to Gunji to lift the pilgrims
before noon today but could not carry out the operation due to
heavy rains at Bareilly base.
"In the afternoon two air force helicopters reached Pant
Nagar air base but due to heavy rains there and at Gunji they
had to cancel their sortie," the District Magistrate said.
The Air Force has also promised Almora district
administration to air lift essential goods to Almora town from
Haldwani as the main highway linking the two towns has been
blocked since the last five days and there is a shortage of
essential goods in Almora, DM of Almora said.
"The four Air Force helicopters assigned at Bareilly
base to cope with the calamity in this region are giving
priority to air lift those marooned by flood waters in
Moorabad and Bijnor districts. After that they will go to
Kailash Yatra pilgrims and Almora town," said a source of
district administration Almora.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Say hello to 'nastiest' star ever
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy