Badrinath shrine to be reopened on May 16
Dehradun: The famous Himalayan shrine of Badrinath in Uttarakhand will be reopened on May 16.
After its annual closure during winter due to snow-bound conditions, the portals of the shrine have been scheduled to be reopened for devotees at 4 am on May 16, said Ganesh Godiyal, chairman of Badrinath-Kedarnath temple committee.
The schedule for reopening the temple`s portals was formally announced by the Rajpurohit of the erstwhile Tehri royal family at their palace in Narendra Nagar, Godiyal said.
The portals of Badrinath Dham, dedicated to Lord Vishnu and located at a height of more than 10,000 ft in the Himalayas, are closed every year for six months due to snow-bound conditions during winter and reopened for visitors in April-May.
During the long winter recess Lord Vishnu`s idol is worshipped at Narsingh temple located at nearby Joshimath.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan