Badrinath shrine to be reopened on May 16
Dehradun: The famous Himalayan shrine of Badrinath in Uttarakhand will be reopened on May 16.
After its annual closure during winter due to snow-bound conditions, the portals of the shrine have been scheduled to be reopened for devotees at 4 am on May 16, said Ganesh Godiyal, chairman of Badrinath-Kedarnath temple committee.
The schedule for reopening the temple`s portals was formally announced by the Rajpurohit of the erstwhile Tehri royal family at their palace in Narendra Nagar, Godiyal said.
The portals of Badrinath Dham, dedicated to Lord Vishnu and located at a height of more than 10,000 ft in the Himalayas, are closed every year for six months due to snow-bound conditions during winter and reopened for visitors in April-May.
During the long winter recess Lord Vishnu`s idol is worshipped at Narsingh temple located at nearby Joshimath.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?