Badrinath shrine to be reopened on May 16
Dehradun: The famous Himalayan shrine of Badrinath in Uttarakhand will be reopened on May 16.
After its annual closure during winter due to snow-bound conditions, the portals of the shrine have been scheduled to be reopened for devotees at 4 am on May 16, said Ganesh Godiyal, chairman of Badrinath-Kedarnath temple committee.
The schedule for reopening the temple`s portals was formally announced by the Rajpurohit of the erstwhile Tehri royal family at their palace in Narendra Nagar, Godiyal said.
The portals of Badrinath Dham, dedicated to Lord Vishnu and located at a height of more than 10,000 ft in the Himalayas, are closed every year for six months due to snow-bound conditions during winter and reopened for visitors in April-May.
During the long winter recess Lord Vishnu`s idol is worshipped at Narsingh temple located at nearby Joshimath.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Kidnappers treated me well, gave me money to reach home: Snapdeal executive Dipti Sarna's 36-hour ordeal
- Why Modi never spoke on issues like beef or Muzaffarnagar, asks Manmohan Singh
- Valentine week: Celebrate 'Kiss Day' with these unique kisses!
- 4th ODI: South Africa vs England - Hosts win game by solitary wicket to level series
- JNUSU prez Kanhaiya Kumar sent to 3-day police custody over Afzal Guru row, says being targeted for defeating ABVP in polls