Badrinath shrine to close for winter breaks Nov 18
Dehradun/Lucknow: The "kapat" (doors) of the Sri Badrinath Shrine would be closed for devotees Nov 18 for six months, officials said Tuesday.
A decision on this was taken on Dussehra by the management committee of the Badrinath shrine after seeing the auspicious timing in the almanac.
Officials said the doors would close for the winter breaks starting Nov 18 at 7.38 pm The beginning of the closure process was initiated with the "panchak puja" Sunday.
"The closure would be completed with proper puja Nov 18 under the Rohini Nakshatra and mithun lagna," an official said.
The shrine would remain close for the next six months due to the annual winter breaks.
The Badrinath Yatra, which is part of the "Char Dham Yatra" undertaken every year along with pilgrimage to Kedarnath, Gangotri and Yamunotri, was interrupted in June after flash floods ravaged the entire area and ripped off the roads.
Thousands of pilgrims were stranded enroute to Badrinath and hundreds killed in the Kedar valley. Hundreds have since been missing and are presumed dead now.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued