Badrinath Temple reopens for pilgrims
Dehra Dun: A day after Kedarnath, the portals of famous Himalayan shrine of Badrinath were reopened
on Monday for pilgrims after a gap of six months.
Amid blowing of conches and chanting of vedic hymns and
shlokas, chief priest of Badrinath shrine Rawal Keshava
Namboodiri opened the doors of the temple at 05:35 hrs Monday morning as the palanquin carrying the idol of Lord Vishnu was
taken inside the sanctum sanctorum, said Anusuiya Prasad
Bhatt, Chairman of Shri Badrinath Kedarnath Temple Committee.
During the opening ceremony of the temple, situated at
a height of 3,133 meter in Chamoli district, Uttarakhand
Disaster Management Minister Khajan Das and principal
secretary, Religious Tourism Department Rakesh Sharma were
also present along with hundreds of devotees outside the
sanctum sanctorum braving chilly winds.
Chief Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank was also
scheduled to attend the ceremony but he could not
reach Badrinath due to some reason, said Bhatt.
The portals of another famous shrine of Kedarnath in
Rudraprayag district were thrown open for pilgrims yesterday
and Nishank was among the first ones who paid obeisance at the
With the opening of portals of Badrinath today, all
the four shrines collectively known as Chardham have been
thrown open for pilgrims.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened