Bahuguna creates new record by scoring biggest win
Dehradun: By registering a win over his BJP opponent with a huge margin of 39,954 votes from Sitarganj, Uttarakhand Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna has broken all previous records of Assembly elections since creation of the separate hill state.
Bahuguna as a Congress candidate received 53,766 votes out of the total 69,695 while his nearest rival Prakash Pant managed to get only 13,812 votes in the July 8 by-election, the counting for which was held yesterday.
The victory margin of 39,954 is the biggest-ever margin recorded in the history of Assembly elections in Uttarakhand so far.
Earlier, former Chief Minister N D Tiwari scored a win over his BJP rival Ram Singh Bisht with an impressive margin of 23,220 in Ramnagar by-election in 2002.
Thereafter, B C Khanduri had clinched the Dhumakot seat by defeating Surendra Singh Negi of Congress with a margin of 14,171 in 2007 Assembly by-election.
However, the earlier record of highest victory-margin in any Assembly elections was that of Madan Kaushik (BJP) who had won the Haridwar seat by a margin of 28,640 in 2007 Assembly poll.
Kaushik was followed by state Parliamentary Affairs Minister Indira Hridayesh, who defeated BJP`s Renu Adhikari with a margin of 23,583 from Haldwani in the assembly elections held early this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads - Part II
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- Ravindra Jadeja gets engaged to Rajkot-based mechanical engineer Reeva Solanki
- Smoking hot! Deepika Padukone's first look in 'xXx' with Vin Diesel creates storm!
- Cancer: Early warning signs you shouldn't ignore!