Bahuguna creates new record by scoring biggest win
Dehradun: By registering a win over his BJP opponent with a huge margin of 39,954 votes from Sitarganj, Uttarakhand Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna has broken all previous records of Assembly elections since creation of the separate hill state.
Bahuguna as a Congress candidate received 53,766 votes out of the total 69,695 while his nearest rival Prakash Pant managed to get only 13,812 votes in the July 8 by-election, the counting for which was held yesterday.
The victory margin of 39,954 is the biggest-ever margin recorded in the history of Assembly elections in Uttarakhand so far.
Earlier, former Chief Minister N D Tiwari scored a win over his BJP rival Ram Singh Bisht with an impressive margin of 23,220 in Ramnagar by-election in 2002.
Thereafter, B C Khanduri had clinched the Dhumakot seat by defeating Surendra Singh Negi of Congress with a margin of 14,171 in 2007 Assembly by-election.
However, the earlier record of highest victory-margin in any Assembly elections was that of Madan Kaushik (BJP) who had won the Haridwar seat by a margin of 28,640 in 2007 Assembly poll.
Kaushik was followed by state Parliamentary Affairs Minister Indira Hridayesh, who defeated BJP`s Renu Adhikari with a margin of 23,583 from Haldwani in the assembly elections held early this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble