Bahuguna creates new record by scoring biggest win
Dehradun: By registering a win over his BJP opponent with a huge margin of 39,954 votes from Sitarganj, Uttarakhand Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna has broken all previous records of Assembly elections since creation of the separate hill state.
Bahuguna as a Congress candidate received 53,766 votes out of the total 69,695 while his nearest rival Prakash Pant managed to get only 13,812 votes in the July 8 by-election, the counting for which was held yesterday.
The victory margin of 39,954 is the biggest-ever margin recorded in the history of Assembly elections in Uttarakhand so far.
Earlier, former Chief Minister N D Tiwari scored a win over his BJP rival Ram Singh Bisht with an impressive margin of 23,220 in Ramnagar by-election in 2002.
Thereafter, B C Khanduri had clinched the Dhumakot seat by defeating Surendra Singh Negi of Congress with a margin of 14,171 in 2007 Assembly by-election.
However, the earlier record of highest victory-margin in any Assembly elections was that of Madan Kaushik (BJP) who had won the Haridwar seat by a margin of 28,640 in 2007 Assembly poll.
Kaushik was followed by state Parliamentary Affairs Minister Indira Hridayesh, who defeated BJP`s Renu Adhikari with a margin of 23,583 from Haldwani in the assembly elections held early this year.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know