Bahuguna files nomination from Sitarganj
Dehra Dun: Having consolidated his position in the ruling Congress, Uttarakhand chief minister Vijay Bahuguna on Wednesday filed his nomination papers from Sitarganj Assembly constituency for which by-elections will be held on July 8.
As a show of strength, union minister Harish Rawat, a bete noire of Bahuguna, along with his supporters was also present during the filing of nomination papers. "Our best wishes are with Bahuguna," said Rawat.
Bahuguna reached the office of SDM of Sitarganj P C Dumka, the returning officer, and filed two sets of nomination papers. He was flanked by party in-charge of state affairs Chaudhary Birendra Singh, PCC chief and revenue minister Yashpal Arya, Pauri Garhwal MP Satpal Maharaj and other senior leaders. Chief Minister`s wife Sudha Bahuguna was also present.
Former BJP MLA Kiran Mandal, who had resigned last month to facilitate Bahuguna to enter the Vidhan Sabha, also accompanied the Chief Minister.
Though main opposition BJP is yet to declare its candidate against Bahuguna, former MLA Narayan Pal, who lost to Mandal as BSP candidate in recent Assembly elections, also announced his support to Congress brightening Bahuguna`s chances. BJP is expected to declare its candidate on June 16.
Later, addressing a public meeting at Ramlila ground in Sitarganj, Bahuguna said he would complete all announcements made by him for the people of Sitarganj and that the area would move fast on the path of development after his election to the Vidhan Sabha
Bahuguna, a non-MLA, during his visit to Sitarganj early this month had announced several new projects worth crores of rupees giving clear indications that he might contest Assembly by-elections from there.
Last month also, the government issued an order giving ownership rights to all those people who were leased out agriculture land at least 30 years ago apparently to provide benefit to a large number of Bengali settlers in Sitarganj.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation