‘Bahuguna has violated model code of conduct’
Dehradun: The Opposition BJP in Uttarakhand lodged a complaint with the Election Commission accusing Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna of violating the model code of conduct to influence voters in favour of his son and Congress nominee for Tehri Lok Sabha bypoll Saket Bahuguna.
State BJP chief Bishan Singh Chufal led a delegation to the Chief Election Officer Radha Raturi here yesterday and alleged the recent announcement by the Chief Minister at a press conference that each family would get 12 subsidised LPG cylinders in a year was made deliberately to brighten his son`s prospects in Tehri which goes to poll tomorrow.
"It was a policy announcement made in violation of the model code of conduct to influence the electorate," Chufal said in his complaint to the Election Commission.
The party has lodged several such complaints with the EC during campaigning for the high-profile seat accusing Bahuguna of misuing the government machinery to ensure Saket`s victory.
Leader of the Opposition in the state Assembly Ajay Bhatt had recently approached the EC charging the Chief Minister with announcing sops at his campaign meetings to influence voters and turning his official residence into his son`s poll office.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai