Bahuguna hints at contesting Sitarganj by-elections
Dehra Dun: Uttarakhand Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna on Friday announced a slew of new projects worth crores of rupees for Sitarganj constituency, triggering speculation that he may contest the forthcoming by-elections from the seat.
Speaking at a rally at Sitarganj in Kumaon region, the Chief Minister indicated that he may contest the by-election from the constituency, but said the final decision would be taken by the party high command.
The by-election has been necessitated following the resignation of BJP MLA Kiran Mandal last month, apparently to pave the way for Bahuguna`s election.
Lauding Mandal`s move, Bahuguna said, "This is perhaps the first example in the entire country where an MLA (Mandal) has sacrificed his seat for the development of his area and community".
Praising the people in the constituency for working towards the development of the region, the Chief Minister said that the state government would provide all the support necessary to carry forward their efforts.
"The government is committed to the development of Sitarganj, which would be carried out as per the aspiration of Mandal," he said.
During his visit, Bahuguna also laid the foundation stone of various new projects, including two godowns for crops, a science laboratory, classrooms and a toilet for a government school, among others.
Bahuguna also announced two flood control schemes worth Rs 10 crore, construction of 23 roads at a cost of Rs 58 crore and two bridges, a stadium, a polytechnic college, a degree college, upgradation of a 30-bed hospital, modernisation of a primary health centre and a bus stand for the constituency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok