Bahuguna to take up eco-sensitive zone issue with
Dehradun: The Uttarakhand Cabinet has opposed a gazette notification declaring a 4171.59 sq km stretch between Gomukh and Uttarkashi as eco-sensitive, saying the area is strategically important as it shares border with China and authorised the Chief Minister to take up the issue with the Centre.
At a meeting chaired by CM Vijay Bahuguna yesterday, the cabinet decided to seek modifications in the notification issued by the Centre maintaining that the document in its present form would bring development activities in the region to a halt.
The Cabinet authorised the Chief Minister to take up the issue with UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi and the Forest and Environment Ministry saying the notification went against the interests of the state.
The Cabinet opined that the area between Gomukh and Uttarkashi on either side of the Bahgirathi river was very important for strategic reasons as it was close to Uttarakhand`s border with China which has laid a vast network of roads and other infrastructural facilities along its borders with India.
The state government will prepare a detailed report on the problems arising from the notification and seek modifications in it by the Centre, Bahuguna said after the meeting.
"Environmental protection and development should go hand in hand.
We will meet our central leaders and share with them our reservations about the gazette notification declaring the area as an eco-sensitive zone, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India