Bahuguna to take up eco-sensitive zone issue with
Dehradun: The Uttarakhand Cabinet has opposed a gazette notification declaring a 4171.59 sq km stretch between Gomukh and Uttarkashi as eco-sensitive, saying the area is strategically important as it shares border with China and authorised the Chief Minister to take up the issue with the Centre.
At a meeting chaired by CM Vijay Bahuguna yesterday, the cabinet decided to seek modifications in the notification issued by the Centre maintaining that the document in its present form would bring development activities in the region to a halt.
The Cabinet authorised the Chief Minister to take up the issue with UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi and the Forest and Environment Ministry saying the notification went against the interests of the state.
The Cabinet opined that the area between Gomukh and Uttarkashi on either side of the Bahgirathi river was very important for strategic reasons as it was close to Uttarakhand`s border with China which has laid a vast network of roads and other infrastructural facilities along its borders with India.
The state government will prepare a detailed report on the problems arising from the notification and seek modifications in it by the Centre, Bahuguna said after the meeting.
"Environmental protection and development should go hand in hand.
We will meet our central leaders and share with them our reservations about the gazette notification declaring the area as an eco-sensitive zone, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi