Bahuguna visits cloudburst-hit Ukhimath
Dehradun: Uttarakhand Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna Saturday took stock of the situation at Ukhimath in Rudraprayag district where a cloudburst killed 29 people.
Accompanied by state Disaster Management Minister Yashpal Arya and Garhwal MP Satpal Maharaj, the Chief Minister visited the affected villages and took stock of the damage inflicted by the disaster yesterday and reviewed the ongoing relief and rescue operations, officials said.
A cloudburst early on Friday flattened scores of homes in Chunni, Mangoli, Kimana, Sansari, Giriya, Barhmankholi, Premnagar and Juatok in Ukhimath area claiming 29 lives.
The toll may rise as 31 people are still missing. The calamity also left 15 injured, 11 of them are in critical condition.
The injured have been flown in a helicopter to hospitals in Ukhimath and Srinagar. Some of those critically injured have also been referred to hospitals in Dehradun, officials said.
Nearly 124 ITBP and Army personnel are engaged in relief and rescue operations in the affected villages.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Former CM Panneerselvam demands secret voting in Tamil Nadu Assembly
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- Exclusive: In conversation with Rajnath Singh, Union Home Minister
- DMK, Congress will vote against government formation in Tamil Nadu
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley