Beating up of MLA: Top police officials removed from post
Dehra Dun: Uttarakhand government has
removed the state DGP, the Dehra Dun SSP and SP (city) from
their posts, apparently bowing to pressure from ruling BJP
MLAs after one of their colleagues was allegedly beaten up by
Uttarakhand Director General of Police Subhash Joshi has
been relieved with immediate effect for his new assignment in
CRPF while Dehra Dun SSP Abhinav Kumar and SP(City) Jagatram
Joshi have been transferred to police headquarters as DIG and
Deputy Commandant of 46th PAC batallion Rudrapur respectively,
a government spokesman today said.
Additional DGP Vijay Raghav Pant has now been made
acting DGP of Uttarakhand, he said. G S Martolia would take
the place of Kumar while Aseem Srivastav would hold the post
of SP(City) in Dehra Dun, he said.
The decision to remove the top police officials was
taken late last night after a delegation of ruling BJP MLAs
met Chief Minister Ramesh Pokhariyal Nishank and expressed
their unhappiness over the incident and demanded a strict
However, when asked, the spokesman described the
transfers as just a routine exercise.
Rajkumar, the ruling BJP MLA from Sahaspur
constituency, was stopped by police at Premnagar here on
Sunday night in view of a traffic snarl in the area. This led
to heated arguments between the MLA and the police, who
allegedly dragged him out of his vehicle and thrashed him.
Angry over the beating up of the MLA, a large number
of BJP workers damaged the furniture and important files of
Premnagar police post creating tension in the area.
The incident also angered the MLAs, who demanded stern
SI Manoj Negi and two constables-- Ravindra Kumar and
Harendra Bist, who were found responsible for the incident
following a preliminary inquiry-- were arrested and sent to
However, the action failed to pacify the agitated
MLAs, who demanded the officials be removed.
Meanwhile, the Uttarakhand government has created two
new posts of Additional SPs in Dehra Dun. While Ajay Joshi has
been made the Additional SP of Vikasnagar area, PC Joshi would
hold the post of Additional SP of Rishikesh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How will Sonowal's govt solve problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam?
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam - Part II
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part III
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part IV
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges
- Register your marriage online by paying just Rs 100
- India signs $100 mn loan agreement with World Bank
- Trailer out! Salman Khan, Anushka Sharma's 'Sultan' will leave you with goosebumps – Watch now
- Rupee free fall continues, plunges 26 paise to 67.75
- HDFC Realty, SBI Caps to auction 61 properties of Sahara