Bhairavnath temple near Kedarnath closed for winter
Kedarnath: The sacred portals of Bhairavnath temple near Kedarnath in Garhwal Himalayas were closed on Saturday for winter amid chanting of vedic hymns and a mild snowfall.
An elaborate two hour prayers were held by the priest of Kedarnath temple Bagesh Ling in the presence of devotees and officials of the temple committee, including its CEO BB Singh, before the doors were closed for the peak winter months as the high altitude shrine becomes inaccessible due to snowbound conditions.
The closure of Bhairvanath temple will be followed by that of Kedarnath on November 5.
Areas close to Kedarnath temple were the worst hit by the June calamity in Uttarakhand leading to the suspension of the char dham yatra for over three month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump