Bhairavnath temple near Kedarnath closed for winter
Kedarnath: The sacred portals of Bhairavnath temple near Kedarnath in Garhwal Himalayas were closed on Saturday for winter amid chanting of vedic hymns and a mild snowfall.
An elaborate two hour prayers were held by the priest of Kedarnath temple Bagesh Ling in the presence of devotees and officials of the temple committee, including its CEO BB Singh, before the doors were closed for the peak winter months as the high altitude shrine becomes inaccessible due to snowbound conditions.
The closure of Bhairvanath temple will be followed by that of Kedarnath on November 5.
Areas close to Kedarnath temple were the worst hit by the June calamity in Uttarakhand leading to the suspension of the char dham yatra for over three month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA