BJP attacks Alva for address in English
Dehra Dun: The first day of the newly
constituted Legislative Assembly in Uttarakhand started on a
stormy note today with opposition BJP criticising Governor
Margaret Alva for addressing the House in English.
Alva first spoke few lines in Hindi and later switched
over to English, a move immediately resented by BJP members,
who stood up and asked her to read in Hindi.
However, the Governor refused to read in Hindi saying she
came from south India and was not from Uttarakhand. But the
BJP members continued their protest asking the Governor to "go
Amid the din, the Governor hurriedly read the last few
lines and wrapped up her address within five minutes. Later,
the house was adjourned till 1500 hours.
During the Governor`s address, some BJP members like
Arvind Pandey, Premchand Agrawal and Rajkumar Thukral also
shouted slogans against the state government.
Later, talking to reporters, the BJP MLAs said the
government has insulted Hindi under its alleged appeasement
"First Congress nominated R V Gardner from Anglo-India
community much before the cabinet formation. And now, the
Congress government is lowering the status of Hindi in the
Hindi heartland of Uttarakhand," said Thukral, a BJP MLA.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why