BJP attacks Alva for address in English
Dehra Dun: The first day of the newly
constituted Legislative Assembly in Uttarakhand started on a
stormy note today with opposition BJP criticising Governor
Margaret Alva for addressing the House in English.
Alva first spoke few lines in Hindi and later switched
over to English, a move immediately resented by BJP members,
who stood up and asked her to read in Hindi.
However, the Governor refused to read in Hindi saying she
came from south India and was not from Uttarakhand. But the
BJP members continued their protest asking the Governor to "go
Amid the din, the Governor hurriedly read the last few
lines and wrapped up her address within five minutes. Later,
the house was adjourned till 1500 hours.
During the Governor`s address, some BJP members like
Arvind Pandey, Premchand Agrawal and Rajkumar Thukral also
shouted slogans against the state government.
Later, talking to reporters, the BJP MLAs said the
government has insulted Hindi under its alleged appeasement
"First Congress nominated R V Gardner from Anglo-India
community much before the cabinet formation. And now, the
Congress government is lowering the status of Hindi in the
Hindi heartland of Uttarakhand," said Thukral, a BJP MLA.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray