‘BJP challenge forced CM to camp in Sitarganj’
Dehradun: Opposition BJP candidate Prakash Pant today claimed that his party would emerge victorious in the by-election in Sitarganj from where Congress nominee and Uttarakhand Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna is seeking to enter the Assembly.
The results of the bypoll would be declared tomorrow.
Pant said the stiff challenge posed by the BJP forced Congress nominee and Uttarakhand Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna to camp in the constituency for a month.
"It has happened for the first time that a Chief Minister camped for nearly a month in the constituency leaving routine government work to ensure his win in the by-election. I think, this wa
s the first victory of BJP against Congress in Sitarganj," he told reporters here.
The BJP candidate said ever since he filed his nomination papers on June 13, Bahuguna did not leave Sitarganj area except for a couple of days.
"BJP would register a win in the by-election," Pant added.
Pant also alleged violation of election code of conduct during campaigning by Congress and said he had already apprised the Election Commission of various developments in this regard.
He alleged that the Congress government`s move to provide ownership rights on agricultural land to people was a farce as according to the Government`s Grant Act, 1895, land leased out to people automatically becomes theirs after a period of 30 years if they do not violate the lease conditions.
But he claimed that the people of the constituency have voted for BJP as they witnessed the developments, including resignation of the person they elected in the January 30 Assembly elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof