BJP demands dismissal of Cong MLA from U`khand Assembly
Dehradun: Opposition BJP on Tuesday demanded dismissal of Harak Singh Rawat as an MLA from Uttarakhand Assembly, alleging that the cabinet minister`s appointment as the head of two state-run corporations was "unconstitutional" as they were offices of profit.
The demand was made through a memorandum submitted to Uttarakhand Governor Aziz Qureshi by a BJP delegation, led by Leader of Opposition in the state Assembly Ajay Bhatt.
Noting that an MLA and minister could not occupy offices of profit, the BJP leader termed Rawat`s appointment as the Chairman of Uttarakhand Seed & Tarai Development Corporation Ltd and Uttarakhand Ex Servicemen Welfare Corporation Ltd as "unconstitutional".
The delegation comprising BJP MLAs and senior party leaders, including former Uttarakhand chief minister Ramesh Pokhariyal Nishank asked the governor to take cognisance of section 2 of Article 191 of the Constitution and ensure that Rawat is dismissed as an MLA from the Assembly.
The governor assured the BJP leaders to examine the points raised by them and take whatever action is required in a non-partisan manner.
Harak Singh Rawat is the Agriculture Minister in Bahuguna`s cabinet.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why are schools insensitive over complexities of poor families?
- Why are schools insensitive over complexities of poor families? - Part II
- DNA: Who are the sponsors and co-sponsors of terrorism in India?
- DNA: Who are the sponsors and co-sponsors of terrorism in India? Part-II
- DNA: Analyzing the mystery of missing IAF aircraft AN-32