BJP demands dismissal of Cong MLA from U`khand Assembly
Dehradun: Opposition BJP on Tuesday demanded dismissal of Harak Singh Rawat as an MLA from Uttarakhand Assembly, alleging that the cabinet minister`s appointment as the head of two state-run corporations was "unconstitutional" as they were offices of profit.
The demand was made through a memorandum submitted to Uttarakhand Governor Aziz Qureshi by a BJP delegation, led by Leader of Opposition in the state Assembly Ajay Bhatt.
Noting that an MLA and minister could not occupy offices of profit, the BJP leader termed Rawat`s appointment as the Chairman of Uttarakhand Seed & Tarai Development Corporation Ltd and Uttarakhand Ex Servicemen Welfare Corporation Ltd as "unconstitutional".
The delegation comprising BJP MLAs and senior party leaders, including former Uttarakhand chief minister Ramesh Pokhariyal Nishank asked the governor to take cognisance of section 2 of Article 191 of the Constitution and ensure that Rawat is dismissed as an MLA from the Assembly.
The governor assured the BJP leaders to examine the points raised by them and take whatever action is required in a non-partisan manner.
Harak Singh Rawat is the Agriculture Minister in Bahuguna`s cabinet.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack