BJP for change of guard in Uttarakhand?
Dehra Dun: Ahead of the assembly elections
due in the next few months, speculation is rife in
Uttarakhand unit of ruling BJP tonight about a change of guard
in the wake of a series of alleged scams facing the government.
BJP sources here said Chief Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal
Nishank, former chief ministers Bhuvan Chand Khanduri and
Bhagat Singh Koshiyari, along with a host of other leaders,
have been invited to New Delhi by BJP amid reports that
Nishank would be replaced.
Both Khanduri and Koshiyari are not ready to contest
elections under the leadership of Nishank, the sources said.
When contacted, state BJP President Bishan Singh Chufal,
however, said he has no knowledge of any change of guard in
Nishank is facing opposition from a section of the party
Recently, senior BJP leader and former Tourism Minister
TPS Rawat, a Khanduri loyalist, quit BJP on the issue of
alleged corruption scandals in the state.
Significantly, both Khanduri and Koshiyari have conveyed
to the party high command their displeasure over the current
status of the party especially in view of a series of the
A few months ago, BJP chief Nitin Gadkari had met
Nishank, Khanduri and Koshiyari in New Delhi in his bid to
resolve the factional feud in Uttarakhand unit of the party
and asked them to remain united in the state.
The party is currently divided into three main camps of
Nishank, Khanduri and Koshiyari.
The sources said Khanduri and Koshiyari have joined
hands for the time being despite their political differences
during the past few years.
Koshiyari had openly opposed Khanduri when he was being
appointed as Chief Minister after the 2007 assembly elections.
Khanduri had been holding meetings of top party leaders
at his residence in an apparent show of strength.
But all the party legislators distanced themselves from
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof