BJP MLA makes way for Congress CM Bahuguna
Dehradun: BJP MLA Kiran Mandal on Wednesday resigned from the Assembly to enable Uttarakhand Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna to contest from his Sitarganj seat.
"Mr Mandal this evening handed over the resignation to me at my residence," said Assembly Speaker Govind Singh Kunjwal.
In his resignation letter, Mandal said he was resigning "in the larger interest of his constituency".
Kunjawal said he has accepted the resignation with immediate effect on the request of Mandal.
PCC chief Yashpal Arya and other senior Congress leaders were present at the residence of Kunjwal when Mandal handed over the resignation.
Mandal told the Speaker that there were lot of problems related to Sitarganj constituency like land ownership rights to Bengalis and opening of new schools and colleges.
All these issues are expected to be addressed by the new Congress government, Mandal said.
Mandal also said he has urged Bahuguna to contest from Sitarganj seat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!