BJP pits Pant against Uttarakhand CM
Dehradun: The BJP on Tuesday announced the candidature of its senior leader Prakash Pant against Uttarakahand Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna in the Sitarganj assembly by-election.
Senior leaders of the Uttarakhand unit said while three names were sent to the Bharatiya Janata Party leadership, Pant got the green signal to contest.
Pant has been a minister in successive BJP governments in the hill state. He lost the March assembly polls from Pithoragarh.
Bahuguna, when he became the chief minister, was a MP from Tehri. He is contesting from Sitarganj as a Congress candidate. He filed his nomination papers June 14.
The Samajwadi Party, Bahujan Samaj Party and Uttarakhand Kranti Dal have decided not to field a candidate against the chief minister citing political propriety.
The election will be held on July 8. The seat fell vacant following the resignation of BJP legislator Kiran Mandal last month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation Part II
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters