BJP pits Pant against Uttarakhand CM
Dehradun: The BJP on Tuesday announced the candidature of its senior leader Prakash Pant against Uttarakahand Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna in the Sitarganj assembly by-election.
Senior leaders of the Uttarakhand unit said while three names were sent to the Bharatiya Janata Party leadership, Pant got the green signal to contest.
Pant has been a minister in successive BJP governments in the hill state. He lost the March assembly polls from Pithoragarh.
Bahuguna, when he became the chief minister, was a MP from Tehri. He is contesting from Sitarganj as a Congress candidate. He filed his nomination papers June 14.
The Samajwadi Party, Bahujan Samaj Party and Uttarakhand Kranti Dal have decided not to field a candidate against the chief minister citing political propriety.
The election will be held on July 8. The seat fell vacant following the resignation of BJP legislator Kiran Mandal last month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH