BJP seeks early rehabilitation of flood-affected i
Dehra Dun: BJP on Sunday sought early rehabilitation of the Uttarkashi flood-affected people and demanded a relief package of Rs 2,000 crore from the Centre.
"The situation in Uttarkashi is very grim. Several villages are still cut off from the rest of the country. We are demanding early rehabilitation of all those people whose houses and lands washed away and became penniless," BJP leader and former chief minister BS Koshiyari told reporters here.
The Centre should give a relief package of Rs 2,000 crore to Uttarakhand and declare the disaster as national calamity keeping in view its enormity, the BJP leader said.
Till date the Centre has released Rs 150 crore to the state, while Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna has demanded Rs 600 crore from the Centre for relief and rehabilitation.
Koshiyari said he has toured several affected villages and was satisfied with the relief work being carried out by the government and other social organisations.
At least 28 people were killed and hundreds of others rendered homeless following cloudburst and heavy floods on August 4 in different parts of Uttarkashi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Turkey will give full support to operation to retake Syria's Jarablus from Islamic State: Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu
- WATCH: What is PV Sindhu's equation with Saina Nehwal? Her reply will surprise you
- Iraq executions carried out without proper trial, fuelled by vengeance: UN
- India to buy 500 helicopters, 12 submarines, over 200 fighter jets in next 10 years: Report
- Pakistan denies Dawood's presence in Karachi, says 'UN report motivated by India's aim to malign us'