BJP seeks early rehabilitation of flood-affected i
Dehra Dun: BJP on Sunday sought early rehabilitation of the Uttarkashi flood-affected people and demanded a relief package of Rs 2,000 crore from the Centre.
"The situation in Uttarkashi is very grim. Several villages are still cut off from the rest of the country. We are demanding early rehabilitation of all those people whose houses and lands washed away and became penniless," BJP leader and former chief minister BS Koshiyari told reporters here.
The Centre should give a relief package of Rs 2,000 crore to Uttarakhand and declare the disaster as national calamity keeping in view its enormity, the BJP leader said.
Till date the Centre has released Rs 150 crore to the state, while Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna has demanded Rs 600 crore from the Centre for relief and rehabilitation.
Koshiyari said he has toured several affected villages and was satisfied with the relief work being carried out by the government and other social organisations.
At least 28 people were killed and hundreds of others rendered homeless following cloudburst and heavy floods on August 4 in different parts of Uttarkashi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- REVEALED: Outdoing Virat Kohli makes AB de Villiers 'proud' - Here's why!
- Birthday special: Anushka Sharma is the selfie queen of Bollywood! Here's a proof
- UNBELIEVABLE! CEO of Baba Ramdev's Patanjali Ayurved works for 15 hours/day but takes no salary!
- Technology has opened up our cinema to everybody: Aishwarya Rai Bachchan
- HILARIOUS! How Virender Sehwag trolled birthday boy Rohit Sharma in his inimitable style