BJP seeks early rehabilitation of flood-affected i
Dehra Dun: BJP on Sunday sought early rehabilitation of the Uttarkashi flood-affected people and demanded a relief package of Rs 2,000 crore from the Centre.
"The situation in Uttarkashi is very grim. Several villages are still cut off from the rest of the country. We are demanding early rehabilitation of all those people whose houses and lands washed away and became penniless," BJP leader and former chief minister BS Koshiyari told reporters here.
The Centre should give a relief package of Rs 2,000 crore to Uttarakhand and declare the disaster as national calamity keeping in view its enormity, the BJP leader said.
Till date the Centre has released Rs 150 crore to the state, while Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna has demanded Rs 600 crore from the Centre for relief and rehabilitation.
Koshiyari said he has toured several affected villages and was satisfied with the relief work being carried out by the government and other social organisations.
At least 28 people were killed and hundreds of others rendered homeless following cloudburst and heavy floods on August 4 in different parts of Uttarkashi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?