BJP shortlists names for Sitarganj bypoll
Dehra Dun: Stung by the desertion of a party MLA, BJP appears to be in no hurry to kick off its poll campaign against Uttarakhand Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna who is contesting the Sitarganj byelection to enter the state Assembly.
Bahuguna, camping at Sitarganj since June 13 after filing his nomination, may not face stiff opposition as Samajwadi Party, BSP and Uttarakhand Kranti Dal have decided not to field candidates against him.
"Till the name of the contestant is finalised by the high command, we cannot start an election campaign against Bahuguna," a state BJP leader said.
After dithering for quite some time, BJP yesterday sent a panel of three names to the high command for the July eight Sitarganj bypoll.
Former Cabinet minister Prakash Pant, ex-MP Balraj Pasi and former Udhamsingh Nagar district president Ratan Lal Gupta were the three names sent to the BJP high command.
"We have discussed several names including those of two ex-CMs B S Koshiyari and B C Khanduri but the meeting decided to recommend names of Pant, Pasi and Gupta,” state BJP spokesman Satish Lakheral said.
The BJP central parliamentary board will now finalise the name of the candidate to be pitted against Bahuguna.
A meeting of the board is likely to take place shortly as the last date of filing of nominations is June 20.
The Sitarganj seat fell vacant following the resignation of BJP MLA Kiran Mandal last month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan