BJP shortlists names for Sitarganj bypoll
Dehra Dun: Stung by the desertion of a party MLA, BJP appears to be in no hurry to kick off its poll campaign against Uttarakhand Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna who is contesting the Sitarganj byelection to enter the state Assembly.
Bahuguna, camping at Sitarganj since June 13 after filing his nomination, may not face stiff opposition as Samajwadi Party, BSP and Uttarakhand Kranti Dal have decided not to field candidates against him.
"Till the name of the contestant is finalised by the high command, we cannot start an election campaign against Bahuguna," a state BJP leader said.
After dithering for quite some time, BJP yesterday sent a panel of three names to the high command for the July eight Sitarganj bypoll.
Former Cabinet minister Prakash Pant, ex-MP Balraj Pasi and former Udhamsingh Nagar district president Ratan Lal Gupta were the three names sent to the BJP high command.
"We have discussed several names including those of two ex-CMs B S Koshiyari and B C Khanduri but the meeting decided to recommend names of Pant, Pasi and Gupta,” state BJP spokesman Satish Lakheral said.
The BJP central parliamentary board will now finalise the name of the candidate to be pitted against Bahuguna.
A meeting of the board is likely to take place shortly as the last date of filing of nominations is June 20.
The Sitarganj seat fell vacant following the resignation of BJP MLA Kiran Mandal last month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued