BJP shortlists names for Sitarganj bypoll
Dehra Dun: Stung by the desertion of a party MLA, BJP appears to be in no hurry to kick off its poll campaign against Uttarakhand Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna who is contesting the Sitarganj byelection to enter the state Assembly.
Bahuguna, camping at Sitarganj since June 13 after filing his nomination, may not face stiff opposition as Samajwadi Party, BSP and Uttarakhand Kranti Dal have decided not to field candidates against him.
"Till the name of the contestant is finalised by the high command, we cannot start an election campaign against Bahuguna," a state BJP leader said.
After dithering for quite some time, BJP yesterday sent a panel of three names to the high command for the July eight Sitarganj bypoll.
Former Cabinet minister Prakash Pant, ex-MP Balraj Pasi and former Udhamsingh Nagar district president Ratan Lal Gupta were the three names sent to the BJP high command.
"We have discussed several names including those of two ex-CMs B S Koshiyari and B C Khanduri but the meeting decided to recommend names of Pant, Pasi and Gupta,” state BJP spokesman Satish Lakheral said.
The BJP central parliamentary board will now finalise the name of the candidate to be pitted against Bahuguna.
A meeting of the board is likely to take place shortly as the last date of filing of nominations is June 20.
The Sitarganj seat fell vacant following the resignation of BJP MLA Kiran Mandal last month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers