Bundelkhand package: Blame game at Plan panel meet
New Delhi: The Centre on Friday expressed concern over tardy implementation of Rs 7,266 crore Bundelkhand package, while the BSP members of the advisory panel blamed the Union Government for delay in release of funds.
A meeting of the Advisory Committee, called by the Planning Commission to review the progress of the Bundelkhand package turned out to be a mud-slinging game among BSP, SP, BJP and Congress MPs belonging to the backward area, which falls in partly in Madhya Pradesh and partly in Uttar Pradesh.
"We have released the money from here (Centre) but that has not yet been utilised. May be, there has been a delay in the amount utilised or may be there are problems in finalising the plans," Planning Commission deputy chairman Montek Singh Ahluwalia said after the meeting.
Ahluwalia heads the Advisory Committee on Bundelkhand.
"The utilisation (of released funds) in Uttar Pradesh is 9 percent. We will find out what the problem is," he said.
Vijay Bahadur Singh, BSP MP from Hamirpur in Uttar Pradesh, said the Centre "should not politicise" the issue, adding there was delay in release of funds and it takes time
to implement development projects.
"It takes even six months to finalise the projects. This is not a shopping mall. These are long-term projects of 2-3 years. How can you build a Rs 400 crore dam in 11 months"?
However, he admitted that the Uttar Pradesh government received Rs 800 crore from the Centre for development works in the region.
Making an accusation that funds were siphoned off, the Samajwadi Party (SP) members sought a CBI enquiry into the allegations. "I am stating this openly. There should be a CBI investigation into this," RK Singh Patel, MP from Banda, said.
Minister of State for Rural Development Pradeep Kumar Jain, who is also Congress MP from Jhansi, trashed a report of National Rainfed Area Authority, which claimed that enough work has been done on watershed projects, sources said.
Later, talking to reporter, he said: "The reason for increasing suicides is the non-implementation of projects (by the state government)."
The Planning Commission also came in for criticism from both the SP and the BSP members of the advisory panel for poor monitoring of the Bundelkhand package which was approved by after intervention by Congress General Secretary Rahul Gandhi.
While MPs from different parties were involved in mud-slinging, they had a common grouse against the implementing authorities. They complained that the MPs were not involved in the project.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings