Buy power from outside, avoid power cuts: U`khand CM to officials
Dehradun: Uttarakhand Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna on Tuesday issued orders to keep the state free from power outages even if that meant buying electricity from outside.
Laying the foundation stone of power sub-stations of Nehru Colony and Ring Road Raipur, Bahuguna said work on improving power infrastructure worth Rs 191 crore had begun in Dehradun district.
Terming availability of power as a prerequisite for development, Bahuguna said officials have been asked to buy electricity even from outside if required to avoid power cuts.
Electricity worth Rs 300 crore has been purchased so far and more will be bought if needed with permission from the Centre, he said.
Work has begun on the Vyasi Project and permission would soon be obtained for the Lakhwad project to make the state self-sufficient in terms of power, the Chief Minister said.
Around 13,000 consumers would benefit from the Nehru Colony and Ring Road sub-stations, Bahuguna said, adding that electricity was cheaper in Uttarakhand than in other states.
The domestic rate for power in Uttarakhand was Rs 2.94 per unit as against Rs 4.63 in Uttar Pradesh, Rs 3.91 in Himachal Pradesh and Rs 4.86 in Gujarat, he said.
Noting that adequate power is needed for development of industries which will generate employment, he said creation of job opportunities is a must to stop people from migrating to other regions in search of work.
Bahuguna also said Rs 1,000 crore have been released to the PWD for construction of roads and the results would be visible by March.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: Why no action against supporters at JNU?
- Afzal Guru row: Why no action against supporters at JNU?- Part V
- DNA: Analysis on Ishrat Jahan encounter case
- DNA: After JNU, anti-India slogans at Delhi’s Press Club of India
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!