Buy power from outside, avoid power cuts: U`khand CM to officials
Dehradun: Uttarakhand Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna on Tuesday issued orders to keep the state free from power outages even if that meant buying electricity from outside.
Laying the foundation stone of power sub-stations of Nehru Colony and Ring Road Raipur, Bahuguna said work on improving power infrastructure worth Rs 191 crore had begun in Dehradun district.
Terming availability of power as a prerequisite for development, Bahuguna said officials have been asked to buy electricity even from outside if required to avoid power cuts.
Electricity worth Rs 300 crore has been purchased so far and more will be bought if needed with permission from the Centre, he said.
Work has begun on the Vyasi Project and permission would soon be obtained for the Lakhwad project to make the state self-sufficient in terms of power, the Chief Minister said.
Around 13,000 consumers would benefit from the Nehru Colony and Ring Road sub-stations, Bahuguna said, adding that electricity was cheaper in Uttarakhand than in other states.
The domestic rate for power in Uttarakhand was Rs 2.94 per unit as against Rs 4.63 in Uttar Pradesh, Rs 3.91 in Himachal Pradesh and Rs 4.86 in Gujarat, he said.
Noting that adequate power is needed for development of industries which will generate employment, he said creation of job opportunities is a must to stop people from migrating to other regions in search of work.
Bahuguna also said Rs 1,000 crore have been released to the PWD for construction of roads and the results would be visible by March.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa says she will not resign from Rajya Sabha
- New research identifies role of mood in making decisions
- Teachers tend to favour middle-class students: Study
- 'The Ring' co-star Anushka Sharma beats Shah Rukh Khan in 'Prague'! – Know how
- Indonesian church attacker ''obsessed'' with Islamic State leader: Senior minister